As the most popular move-to-earn app, STEPN needs no introduction. Early this year, the app found huge success among the Web3 community. That’s because many users found it possible to earn around $100 per day, just by walking while using the app. In fact, those who were active enough managed to earn more than $300 in a day from a 30-minute run.
Of course, with the downturn in crypto markets lately, the average earnings have been reduced to about $30 per day. But several checks with existing users show that the ROI period still remains at around 1 month. So if you want to get started, here are 5 tips for you to move and earn with STEPN!
1. How to Setup Your STEPN Account
To begin with, you can download the STEPN app from the Apple App or Google Play Stores. Once done, create your STEPN account and get the activation code from STEPN’s official Discord channel. You can also get it from other users who have the activation code.
Next, you will need to create or import a Web3 wallet that is compatible with the Solana network. If you choose to create a new wallet in STEPN, make sure you jot down the 12-word secret recovery phrase that the app generated for you. Otherwise, if you already have a Phantom wallet, just import the wallet by entering the secret recovery phrases.
2. How to choose your first NFT sneaker
In order to start earning in STEPN, you will need to equip yourself with one NFT sneaker at least. As of now, the cheapest sneaker is around 13 SOL or approx. $650 as of writing. To buy a sneaker, make sure you transfer some SOL into your wallet.
There are 4 types of NFT sneakers you can choose from: Walker, Jogger, Runner, and Trainer. Each type of sneaker will require users to run at an optimal speed range, in order to earn the maximum amount of GST (Green Satoshi Tokens) as table below. For a start, it’s best to choose one based on your fitness level.
Next, each NFT sneaker comes with 4 types of attributes: Efficiency, Luck, Comfort, and Resilience. As a general rule, choose an NFT sneaker with a total attribute point of more than 20. Plus, make sure that both the Efficiency and Resilience of the shoes are more than 10 points each.
The Efficiency attribute determines the amount of GST you can earn per minute. While the Resilience attribute affects the durability of the shoes.
Take note that as a user moves, durability will decrease. Just keep in mind that at 50/100 Durability, the NFT sneaker’s efficiency will drop to 90%. At 20/100 Durability, the efficiency drops all the way to 10% only. So it pays to buy shoes with high resilience.
The most ideal pick is getting a Level 9 common NFT sneaker with a number of mints less than 3. This sits at around 14 SOL as of writing. But if you can’t find anything that fits the criteria, you can refer to some decent NFT sneakers below at floor price now.
3. How to make money fast in STEPN (Hint: ROI comes first!)
Once you got your first NFT sneaker, you can start moving and earn GST tokens. You can switch to earning GMT (Green Metaverse Tokens) once your NFT sneaker reaches level 30. However, ROI is the key right now. The best strategy is to spend all of your GST tokens on repairing the shoes daily, instead of spending it on any sneaker or accessories upgrades or minting.
Keep in mind that GST and GMT prices are volatile in nature. Thus it’s best to just swap GST and GMT to SOL whenever you can. As of now, many users reported that they are able to recover their initial investment in about a month. But given that crypto prices are volatile, it is important to DYOR before you invest!
4. How to optimize your earnings when you’re ready
After you have recovered your investment in STEPN and earned some real profits from STEPN, you can try these few ways to up the game. This can include:
- Upgrade your NFT sneaker gradually to level 30 so that you can choose to earn in GMT. In fact, whenever you level up your sneaker, you will get 4 – 12 attribute points to enhance the different attributes of the shoes. The exact amount of attribute points you get will depend on the quality of the NFT sneaker you own as shown in the table below:
- You can also buy more NFT sneakers (usually up to 3) to increase the energy cap to 4. When that happens, you’ll have 20 minutes of move & earn time per day. Plus, buying a higher quality NFT sneaker such as an uncommon sneaker will give you 1 extra energy as a bonus.
- Another option is to upgrade gems and equip them with your NFT sneakers for an extra boost. The yellow gem helps improve Efficiency, the blue gem is for luck, the red gem is for comfort, and the purple gem is for resilience. However, only attempt to try these few methods when you have earned enough profits to spare for upgrades.
5. How to play STEPN for free
If you could wait for a few months, you can actually start earning in STEPN for free. How? By renting an NFT sneaker when the rental system goes live in September this year.
Although this doesn’t sound much and most probably renters will earn lesser, the point is that you’ll get to start playing the game without any upfront investment.
As for now, we’re not aware of any gaming guilds that offer any sort of “scholarships” for STEPN. Anyway, just keep an eye out for such opportunities! Another option is to try out other move-to-earn games with a low startup cost.
Last but not least, just keep in mind that working out is meant to be fun. If you can’t join STEPN because of its high-cost barrier, no worries at all. At the end of the day, STEPN or not, you’ll earn something precious for working out, in the form of your improving physical health.